Fabrication only. Qualified welders and weld procedures for welding as per AS/NZS 2980, AS/NZS 1554.1 and AS/NZS 1554.3. Steel Fabrication Certification to Construction Category 3.
Project Completion: 2023
Tākina, The Wellington Convention and Exhibition Centre (WCEC) is the capital’s first premium conference and exhibition space, due to be completed in 2023.
Steelworks NZ Ltd have been fabricating some of this steel members for the main contractor.
- The WCEC will be an iconic landmark building delivering a civic and cultural statement for inner city
- The resulting building is a unique and soft flowing form wrapped in a shimmering surface facade
- The façade is predominately clad in flowing glass panels that include secondary fabric and back panel shapes (termed SEFAR cladding) that will respond to differing light conditions through the day, giving visual interest, texture and variance to the building
- It will set the standard for regeneration of the surrounding precinct which is generally under-utilised, under-productive and in need of investment.
- View time-lapse & progress here:https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/te-papas-venues-and-wellingtons-new-convention-centre-to-be-operated-together/XRW4EO6YYEXXP4HGCAENSNNLAU/
The design has a unique sculptural form that draws inspiration from a wide of sources including its maritime location, Wellington’s dramatic and sometimes wild weather patterns and landforms. It also draws on Maori mythology, Wellington’s unique harbour
Daryl Calder, Studio Pacific Architecture